The demolition of the building located on 3rd Ave West and 1st Street West has been completed, prompting the question, "what was this building used for?"
Well the answer turns out to be a rather complex one, as the building has had many different names and businesses under its many roofs over the years.
With the help from Kathleen East, Volunteer Researcher at the Grand Coteau Culture and Heritage Centre, the history of this location can now be shared, including a section that remains standing.
The first building was built and opened in October 1913, under the Shaunavon Garage Co. name.
The car selling and maintenance business would stick around in this building for most of its life, housing among others, Shaunavon Motor Co., McNabb Motors, Hannah Motors, Shawnee Motors, and Barry’s Motor Products, which all operated up until the late 1980s.
In June 1987, records show the building was called Third Avenue Mall and hosted an abundance of different businesses and offices, ranging from hair stylists and clothing stores to the Conservation Office and video store. Darkhorse Theatre also operated for some time at the location and there were a variety of other enterprises as well, including a weightlifting gym and MLA office.
After the early 1990s most of the businesses operating out of the structure were furniture and appliance based, including a Sears outlet.
Two of the last occupants, and perhaps best remembered by recent residents, were the DoriAnne's and Octavia's stores.
The building also housed a laundromat for sometime, with the machines still being in the building when the demolition began.
The building, however, has been abandoned for a number of years and was in deteriorating condition. The town decided earlier this year to demolish the building because of public safety concerns.
Jacob Miller, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Shaunavon Standard