A forest fire in New Brunswick measuring more than 30 hectares in size has been contained and no longer poses a risk to the public.
The fire, located on a private woodlot in Sainte-Marie-de-Kent, was contained thanks to the help of 60 firefighters who secured a perimeter around it, keeping it away from homes, said Marc Henri, deputy chief of the Saint Paul-Fire Department.
Henri said his department received the call about the fire — about 40 kilomtres north of Moncton — on Thursday afternoon. Firefighters arrived on scene and called for backup from four other departments once they realized the size of it, he said.
Speaking in an interview around 8 p.m. AT, Henri said the 60 or so firefighters were still on the scene battling hot spots.
"We had Department of Natural Resources with water bombers attacking," said Henri. "We had firefighters with hand lines basically attacking [the] perimeter. About an hour and a half ago, we took control of the fire, [it] is now contained and we're now addressing hot spots."
Henri said no one was hurt and no property was damaged by the fire, although a home was evacuated because the flames came within 100 metres of it.
The fire at one point crossed Route 515, which remains closed until further notice, Henri said.
In an email, Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development spokesperson Nick Brown said six water bombers had been deployed, with additional bombers being sent from Newfoundland and Labrador to assist.