Quebec announces details of $3.9-billion plan to address labour shortages

·1 min read

QUEBEC — The Quebec government says its $3.9-billion plan to address labour shortages will focus on creating 170,000 jobs in six sectors it has identified as priorities.

Premier François Legault made the announcement today in Quebec City.

The $3.9-billion investment was made public in last week's economic update.

Legault says the money will go toward bursaries and work-study programs, with the goal of attracting students to earn degrees in sectors of the economy targeted by the government.

Those sectors include health care, education, child care, information technology and construction.

Legault says the government will do more to encourage immigrants to move outside Montreal in order to fill jobs in Quebec's other regions.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 30, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting