Quebec health authorities say 19 people died from COVID-19 in a Montreal-area seniors residence last spring, but 10 of the deaths were only reported Wednesday because of a delay in transmitting data.
Officials said in a statement that Place Kensington, which bills itself as a luxury residence in Westmount, saw a total of 19 residents die from the novel coronavirus.
The Health Department says the home no longer has active cases, and that authorities are working to ensure a similar situation does not recur.
Neither the residence nor regional health authorities returned requests on Wednesday seeking comment about the discrepancy.
Quebec added a total of 12 new COVID-19 deaths Wednesday, 11 of which occurred more than a week ago.
The province recorded 95 new cases of the disease, bringing the total to 60,813, and the death toll stood at 5,709. The number of COVID-19 hospitalizations remained steady at 151, and there were 20 people in intensive care.
Meanwhile, Quebec Education Minister Jean-Francois Roberge announced the government will be investing $18.9 million to create a reserve of computer equipment for students as they return to school.
The money will allow the purchase of about 30,000 laptops and tablets for use by students most in need.
Roberge says the devices will be reserved for children who don't have computers or exclusive access to them, as well as for Grade 10 and 11 students who will be on alternating schedules of in-person and remote learning.
He says the laptops and computers will also go to children who are considered at-risk or who have learning disabilities.
Quebec's back-to-school plan announced earlier this week provides for most elementary and high school students to physically return to classes at the end of the month.
Students who have health conditions putting them at higher risk of complications from COVID-19 or who live with someone who does, will be offered a remote learning service.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 12, 2020.
The Canadian Press