Quebec police say Martin Carpentier is possibly on the move, scavenging to stay alive

·2 min read

Quebec provincial police say they have reason to believe Martin Carpentier, who is wanted in connection with the deaths of his two daughters, was inside a trailer in the densely wooded area they have been searching.

Police have been scouring a stretch of land around Saint-Apollinaire, Que., for more than a week now.

"We know he could have taken some elements with him to assure his survival. It is possible that he will do so again," Sgt. Ann Mathieu, a Sûreté du Québec spokesperson, said on Thursday.

Police won't say whether they think Carpentier, 44, drove the RV or if he went inside, stole things and left.

The SQ is asking residents who live in and around Saint-Apollinaire to secure their chalets, trailers and campsites. Police say Carpentier is not likely to be dangerous, but if residents feel scared looking around their properties, they should reach out to a friend or call the police.

"We are looking for a man who is trying to survive and hide," Mathieu said.

Sarah Leavitt/CBC
Sarah Leavitt/CBC

They are also asking people to watch for evidence of break-ins or objects that are missing or out of place and continue to call the police with any information.

They believe it is possible Carpentier is heading toward other chalets or buildings in the area or further afield in order to stay alive.

Carpentier, a scout leader, is wanted in connection with the deaths of his two young daughters, 11-year-old Norah and six-year-old Romy.

The girls' bodies were found Saturday in Saint-Apollinaire, southwest of Quebec City. Police have been searching the nearby area for days, hoping to find Carpentier.

He was last seen with his daughters at a convenience store in Lévis, Que., last Wednesday night. Hours later, his vehicle was found five kilometres away, empty and badly damaged in a crash on Highway 20.

A gazebo in the Chutes-de-la-Chaudière park in their hometown of Lévis has become a makeshift memorial filled with hundreds of stuffed animals.

An Amber Alert was issued for the two sisters on July 9 and lifted two days later when their bodies were found.