Quebec reports 579 new COVID-19 cases, no deaths as hospitalizations drop slightly

·1 min read

MONTREAL — Quebec is reporting 579 new cases of COVID-19 today, but no additional deaths attributed to the virus.

Public health data shows overall hospitalizations declined by five to 126, while the number of people in intensive care dropped by two to 36.

Health Minister Christian Dubé said on Twitter that the province had reported only 122 cases of COVID-19 at the same time last year.

However, the hospital numbers are much closer — 126 today compared to 112 last year — which Dubé said is a sign that vaccines are successful in helping people avoid severe illness.

The province also added 30,682 vaccine doses to its total, including 23,655 second doses.

Health authorities say the risk of infection is more than eight times higher for people who are not vaccinated while the risk of hospitalization is up to 22 times higher.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 29 2021

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting