MONTREAL — Quebec Premier François Legault says the government will unveil on Tuesday its plan to vaccinate youngsters aged five to 11.
Legault made the comments to reporters in Montreal on Monday, saying he would hold a news conference the next day with Health Minister Christian Dubé to provide details.
Dubé has said he hoped to administer one dose by Christmas to the roughly 700,000 children aged five to 11 in the province, who became eligible when Health Canada last week authoritized the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for that age group. He said the government planned to vaccinate kids at mass vaccination centres and at schools.
On Sunday, a first shipment of COVID-19 vaccines for kids arrived in Canada.
Meanwhile, Quebec reported 692 new COVID-19 cases Monday and two more deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus. The Health Department said COVID-19-related hospitalizations rose by five compared with the prior day, to 204, and that 46 patients were in intensive care, also a rise of five.
There were 6,324 active reported infections in the province on Monday.
Quebec's public health institute said more than 88 per cent of residents aged 12 and up were considered adequately vaccinated. Health officials said 3,582 COVID-19 vaccine doses were administered on Sunday.
Also Monday, the province opened appointments for booster shots for Quebecers aged 70 to 74, one day ahead of schedule. Appointment bookings will open on Thursday for Quebecers who received two doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 22, 2021.
The Canadian Press