Quebec reports eight more COVID-19 deaths as hospitalizations stabilize

·1 min read

MONTREAL — COVID-19 hospitalizations in Quebec continued to show signs of stabilizing on Monday, as the province reported a one-patient rise in the number of people in hospital with the disease, after two consecutive days of decline.

Health officials said there were 2,345 patients in hospital with COVID-19 after 128 people were admitted in the past 24 hours and 127 people left. The number of people in intensive care dropped by four, to 86.

Last week, officials said there were at least 200 new daily admissions in hospital between Tuesday and Friday, when they reported a sixth-wave high of 2,410 COVID-19 hospitalizations. The province reported a 66-patient drop in hospitalizations over Saturday and Sunday.

Meanwhile, officials on Monday reported eight more deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus.

The province said there are 9,362 health workers off the job due to COVID-19, down from about 13,000 in mid-April.

Quebec's interim public health director said last week there were indications that community transmission and new hospitalizations were trending downward, but he said the situation remained serious enough to warrant extending the mask mandate for public spaces until mid-May.

Officials on Monday reported 1,305 new positive cases detected by PCR testing, which is restricted to certain groups.

Last Tuesday, after officials resumed daily reports following the Easter break, there were 1,783 new PCR-confirmed infections.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 25, 2022.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting