Queens County man faces firearm offences

·2 min read

A West Caledonia man faces several charges following an incident on the morning of Nov. 15, including discharging a firearm with intent.

According to an RCMP news release, at 11:40 a.m. on Nov. 15, while members of the Queens District RCMP were in the West Caledonia area investigating an assault with a weapon complaint, they were flagged down by two people who reported that they had been shot at.

The complainants said they had gone to a man’s home on West Caledonia Road to confront him about some damage he had done to a family member’s vehicle earlier in the day.

They said a verbal confrontation occurred and when they were getting back into their vehicle the man shot at them with what they believed was a shotgun. They fled the area and were not injured.

While police were speaking with the pair, a person police considered a suspect pulled up in his vehicle and the RCMP took him into custody without incident. He was transported to the Liverpool RCMP detachment where he was held in custody overnight.

Police continued their investigation, and on the morning of Nov. 16 a search warrant was executed at the man’s residence, according to the news release. Queens district RCMP was said to be assisted by the RCMP Police Dog Services (PDS) in the search.

“Through the course of the search, PDS located the firearm that is believed to have been used in this incident and police seized it. Police also seized ammunition and another weapon that was believed to have been used in the original complaint being investigated prior to the shots fired incident,” noted the RCMP.

Charges of assault, assault with a weapon, uttering threats, two counts of discharging a firearm with intent, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, careless use of a firearm, possession of a firearm knowing possession is unauthorized and mischief were filed by police in relation to the matter.

The allegations concerning Robert Carl Forrest, 34, of West Caledonia, have not been tested in court and he is presumed innocent.

Following an appearance in Bridgewater provincial court Nov. 16, Forrest was granted bail and released with several conditions including house arrest. He was ordered to return to Bridgewater provincial court in mid-December.

The investigation continues.

Kevin McBain, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, LighthouseNOW Progress Bulletin

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting