Rapist who beat, burned, confined victim for 8 hours wants sentence reduced because of hardship in custody

·3 min read

The man who beat, raped and held a woman against her will for more than eight hours wants his sentence reduced because of hardships suffered while in custody, including a cut on his forehead.

Vasilios (Billy) Georgopoulos, 39, was convicted in a Calgary court of sexual assault causing bodily harm, assault with a weapon, unlawful confinement and uttering death threats.

A publication ban protects his victim's identity.

On Monday, Court of Queen's Bench Justice Alan Macleod heard sentencing submissions from lawyers for the Crown and defence.

The judge will make his decision on Friday.

'By the grace of god that I am alive'

The sentencing hearing began with the victim reading aloud a statement about how Georgopoulos's crimes affected her.

She said she is now angry and reclusive, living in a state of emotional, psychological and mental anguish.

The victim has been hospitalized because of anxiety and stress twice and has been unable to work since she was attacked.

"Will I ever be me again?" she wondered aloud. "I do feel it is by the grace of god that I am alive."

Prosecutor Zailin Lakhoo proposed a nine- to 12-year prison term, while defence lawyer Kelsey Sitar argued her client should spend six to eight years behind bars but with credit for time served and poor conditions in the remand centre, that should be reduced to four to six years.

Georgopoulos has, at his own request, been in segregation since he was taken into custody after being found guilty last year. At one point, he had to share a room with two other inmates.

He also fears for his safety and suffered a cut on his forehead after guards took him to the floor when he refused to come out of his room.

For the conditions in the Calgary Remand Centre, Georgopoulos could get a two-year reduction on his sentence and the usual 1½ days credit for each day he has already served.

Georgopoulos and the victim met online in October 2017 and made arrangements to meet in an apartment-like hotel suite.

After consuming a couple of drinks, the two began what was, at first, a consensual sexual experience.

But Georgopoulos quickly became violent, punching his victim in the face, forcing himself on her and calling her cruel names.

GHB, known as the date-rape drug, was found in the woman's system in the hours after the attack.

In the hotel room, Georgopoulos repeatedly raped her and even burned her with a lighter when the she began to pass out because of the GHB.

After about eight hours, she escaped the hotel when Georgopoulos was on the phone. She took a cab to her mother's home and called police.

The victim suffered injuries to her forehead, face, lower back, upper chest and the back of her head.

In 2016, Georgopoulos was charged with manslaughter and accessory after the fact to murder for the November 2015 stabbing death of Alan Beach outside a pub in Red Deer. In 2017, he pleaded guilty to assault.