The City of Ottawa has chosen the next 20 locations for red light cameras and said they should be installed by the end of the year.
High-traffic intersections such as Elgin and Slater Streets and Innes Road and Orleans Boulevard are among the 20 locations chosen with the goal to reduce collisions and reduce injuries.
- View a fullscreen Google map of the new locations
The new 20 cameras will bring the total number in the city to 54, wrote John Manconi, the general manager of transportation services, in a note to the mayor and council members Monday.
Collisions resulting from red light running tend to be more severe than other collisions because "they usually involve at least one vehicle travelling very quickly and colliding with another vehicle at a right angle" wrote Manconi.
"Studies have shown that the installation of a red light camera does reduce the incidents of right angle collisions, however they can increase rear-end collisions which are typically less severe."
The sites were selected after a review identified intersections with an average of three or more angle collisions due to red light running per year and five or more angle collisions due to red light running in one direction during the four year period.
The locations are:
- Arlington Ave. at Kent St.
- Aviation Pky at Montreal Rd.
- Bank St. at Riverside Dr. South.
- Bay St. at Slater St.
- Bronson Ave. at Powell Ave.
- Catherine St. at Kent St.
- Cedarview Rd. at Fallowfield Rd.
- Coldrey Ave. at Kirkwood Ave.
- Elgin St. at Slater St.
- Gladstone Ave. at Rochester St.
- Hawthorne Rd. at Leitrim Rd.
- Heron Rd. at 155m west of Bank St. – Canadian Tire Access.
- Hog's Back Rd. at Prince of Wales Dr.
- Innes Rd. at Orleans Blvd.
- Lyon St. at Slater St.
- Murray St. at Sussex Dr.
- Old Tenth Line Rd. at St. Joseph Blvd.
- St. Joseph Blvd. at Tenth Line Rd.
- Tenth Line Rd. at Vanguard Dr.
- Walkley Rd. at Glenhaven Private.
Installation of the red light cameras will begin in the spring, with all of them anticipated to be installed by the end of the year.