“The fire ban notice was placed on our website immediately, but unfortunately, due to an administrative hiccup accessing our new communication system remotely, it was not sent out. Council will be setting a policy to ensure ratepayer communications are prioritized according to emergency level. Sorry for any inconvenience that this caused,” the newsletter said.
It remains to be seen if the new policy will also include notification of area fire departments. While the Chief of the Silton Fire Department was aware of the ban Chief of the Strasbourg Fire Department was not informed by the RM.
Within 24 hours of the ban, a grass fire caused by a firework broke out at Alta Vista located in the southern part of the RM, which was attended to and extinguished by the Silton Fire Department.
Jennifer Argue, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Last Mountain Times