Royal family respond to rumours they snubbed Donald Trump

Turns out Prince William, Prince Harry and Prince Charles didn’t ‘refuse’ to meet with Donald Trump [Photo: Getty]

The royal family don’t often respond to gossip and speculation. In fact the last time we can remember was when the palace issued an official statement confirming Prince Harry’s fledgling relationship with the now Duchess of Sussex.

But on Monday a spokesperson for the royals released a formal statement to clear up a few rumours about why certain members of the royal family weren’t in attendance during Donald Trump’s visit with Queen Elizabeth II.

ICYMI some people had been speculating that the reason Prince Harry, Prince William and Prince Charles were notably absent during the president’s trip to Windsor Castle was because they had flat out refused to meet Trump.

It seems the rumours were fuelled after an anonymous source revealed to The Sunday Times that Prince Charles and Prince William had “refused to attend” Trump’s visit leaving the Queen to fly solo.

But it turns out that’s not the case at all.

“In line with standard practice for guest of government visits the President was received by The Queen as Head of State,” a palace spokesperson told People.

“The arrangements were mutually agreed between the Palace and the UK and US governments. There was never a suggestion that other members of the royal family would take part.”

The royal family has issued a statement to clear up some rumours about Donald Trump’s visit [Photo: Getty]

Royal snub or not, the meeting didn’t necessarily go as smoothly as planned. After keeping the Queen waiting for 15 minutes and her twice checking her watch (even though the president and wife Melania weren’t actually late), royal fans went on to criticise the president of failing to adhere to protocol.

Between not bowing when meeting Her Majesty and then walking in front of the 92-year-old during the reviewing of the troops, Trump’s mis-steps drew criticism the world over.

But according to royal etiquette expert Liz Brewer, the President’s behaviour was probably down to nervousness.

“He broke protocol, not deliberately. I think he was nervous, you could see he was nervous,” Brewer told Yahoo UK on ‘The Royal Box.’

“For the first time ever, this man was put in a position where he had to behave.”

Of course there was also the little matter of the royal meeting taking place while thousands of protesters took to the streets to express their dislike of the presidents policies.

And lets not forget the orange-hued baby Trump blimp bobbing around over central London.

All in all it was quite the presidential visit.

Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for non-stop inspiration delivered fresh to your feed, every day. For Twitter updates, follow @YahooStyleUK.Read more from Yahoo Style UK:

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge release additional photo of Prince Louis laughing from christening

Duke and Duchess of Sussex land in Dublin with 11-strong entourage

First Lady fashion: Melania Trump’s work wardrobe