Another jam-packed day of New York Fashion Week, another unmistakably statement-making moment. For an evening out in New York City on Tuesday, Selena Gomez opted for lush ponytail that transformed a would-be beauty moment into a pointed message.
Along with the taut French braid that cut a straight line from the crown to the base of Gomez's sleek tie-back, the actress secured a diamanté clip on one side of her head, emblazoned with one simple but powerful word, "Ugly." The expressive accessory was likely a direct reference to negative comments criticizing her physical appearance on social media—specifically, the very word used by Stefano Gabbana, who used it to describe Gomez on his Instagram account earlier this year, a move which elicited torrents of comments from her loyal following.
Worn just hours after taking front row at the Coach 1941 show, the pop star's unmistakeable gesture was a well-timed reminder during the height of New York Fashion Week—a high profile media marathon that subjects everyone from unknown models attending runway castings to Hollywood stars sitting front row to potential scrutiny. If words have the power to harm or heal, Gomez's latest look was a master move in controlling the conversation—and a valuable reminder that there's nothing more beautiful than human respect and kindness.
Read More Beauty Stories:
- Jennifer Lawrence Has a Bombshell Bare-Leg Moment in Paris—Read More
- Laser Hair Removal: Is It Really Worth It?—Read More
- Kim Kardashian West Reveals a Shocking New Blue Eye Color on Instagram—Read More
- The 10 Beauty Products Every Model Uses for Flawless Skin: P50, Embryolisse, and More—Read More
- The Best Weight-Loss Diet Comes Down to When—Not Just What—You Eat—Read More