Sex assault charges against Calgary youth worker stayed
Charges of sexual assault and sexual exploitation against a former Calgary basketball coach and youth worker have been stayed — two months after he was acquitted of other sex-related charges.
Sean Maheu's sexual assault and sexual exploitation trial was to begin Monday.
The complainant in the case told police he was sexually assaulted on several occasions in 2018, when he was 16 years old.
At the time, Maheu was the boy's youth worker in a program at Hull Services, which helps children experiencing mental health crises, abuse, behavioural issues and trauma.
In a written statement provided to CBC News, the prosecutor said the charges were stayed because "the Crown determined there was no reasonable likelihood of conviction."
When a charge is stayed, the Crown can reactivate the case within one year, although that almost never happens.
In January, Maheu, 40, was acquitted on charges of sexual assault, sexual interference, invitation to sexual touching and sexual exploitation in connection to allegations he molested a 15-year-old boy on at least four occasions in 2017, when he was a coach with Genesis Basketball.
'Maintained his innocence,' lawyer says
On Wednesday, Maheu's lawyer received a letter confirming the newer charges had been stayed by the prosecution.
"He has always maintained his innocence and is happy to put this behind him," said defence lawyer Matt Deshaye.
In January, provincial court Judge Barry Nordin acquitted Maheu on the four charges he faced in connection with the alleged assault on a teenage basketball player.
But the judge said he did not believe Maheu's testimony.
"It's not because I believe your denials, I don't," said Nordin at the time. "Rather, it's because I must look at the evidence as a whole."
Nordin said discrepancies and inconsistencies in the complainant's testimony left him with reasonable doubt.