SFU students in Bali ill from too much alcohol, not methanol

Officials at B.C.'s Simon Fraser University say a group of students who fell ill while on a study course in Bali did not accidentally drink methanol, but instead consumed too much alcohol.

Reports surfaced Friday morning that the students, part of an international studies class in the middle of a two-month tour through Southeast Asia, became sick after drinking methanol-laced alcohol.

SFU spokesman Scott McLean says it appears about half of the 26 students drank too much.

"During this time, a number of students consumed alcohol during the visit and became ill likely due to the overconsumption of alcohol," McLean said.

"To the best of our knowledge, there has been no lingering health effects and no medical attention was required."

Australia's Foreign Affairs Department recently warned citizens to be cautious when drinking spirits in Bali.

Indonesia has high liquor import taxes and discourages liquor consumption, which has given rise to moonshine-like local substitutes for popular spirits.

A 19-year-old Australian died two weeks ago after drinking methanol laced liquor.

[ [ [['xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', 11]], '27013743', '0' ], [ [['keyword', 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999]], 'videoID', '1', 'overwrite-pre-description', 'overwrite-link-string', 'overwrite-link-url' ] ]