Smoking materials blamed for fire that shut down Cooper Street

Smoking materials blamed for fire that shut down Cooper Street

Fire officials say improperly discarded smoking materials are to blame for a two-alarm fire that shut down Cooper Street early Saturday afternoon.

Emergency crews were called to 322 Cooper St. shortly before 1 p.m. after receiving multiple 911 calls, Ottawa Fire Services said in a media release.

When they arrived they found a small fire had broken out on a third-floor balcony, the fire department said.

Firefighters were able to evacuate everyone from the building and no one was displaced, they said.

No injuries have been reported.

Ottawa police shut down Cooper between O'Connor and Metcalfe streets so that emergency crews could deal with the situation, causing heavier-than-normal traffic in the downtown.

Cooper Street was still closed as of 2 p.m.