Amid the Omicron crush, Quebec to crack down on unvaccinated with new health tax

·4 min read

As infections fuelled by the Omicron variant threaten to overwhelm Canada's health system, the Quebec government on Tuesday took the unprecedented step of promising to tax adult residents who refuse to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Premier François Legault made the announcement as the province reported another daily record for virus-related hospitalizations. Of the 2,742 patients in Quebec hospitals with COVID-19 on Tuesday, 255 of them were in intensive care.

The premier said the unvaccinated should be forced to pay for the burden they are placing on the health-care system, noting that half of those in intensive care are unvaccinated — even though that group comprises just 10 per cent of the adult population. The tax would not apply to those with a medical exemption.

Meanwhile, Ontario reported 3,220 hospitalizations on Tuesday, with 477 patients in the ICU — 250 of them on ventilators. The Ontario Hospital Association confirmed that 80 adults were admitted to hospital the previous day — the highest number of admissions so far during the pandemic.

The accelerated spread of Omicron has led to staff shortages across Canada, affecting hospitals, long-term care facilities and other essential services. As a result, non-urgent surgeries in Ontario have also been paused, affecting up to 10,000 scheduled procedures every week.

Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott announced Tuesday that to cover staff shortages, internationally educated nurses will be allowed to work in Ontario hospitals, long-term care homes and other health settings.

In Ottawa, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised the provinces will have enough COVID-19 vaccines to provide eligible Canadians with a fourth dose of vaccine, if they become necessary. Trudeau made the pledge in a statement issued late Monday after he spoke with provincial and territorial leaders, saying Ottawa will do all it can to help them cope with the fifth wave of the pandemic.

"(The premiers) expressed concern over the strain on health-care systems, businesses, workers and families across the country," the statement said.

In New Brunswick, doctors were treating a record 88 people hospitalized with COVID-19, including 14 in intensive care. Mathieu Chalifoux, the province's chief epidemiologist, said Tuesday that hospitalizations could jump to 200 if current trends continue.

"We are at the start of a very high tidal wave,” said John Dornan, interim president of the province's Horizon Health Network. “It's creeping up now, but in the next two to three weeks it's going to crash over us like no one's business."

In Nova Scotia, 25 of the province's 133 nursing homes have stopped accepting new admissions because of staffing issues partly caused by the pandemic, a legislative committee heard Tuesday.

After Ontario Premier Doug Ford confirmed late Monday that students will return to classrooms Jan. 17, Elliott was repeatedly asked Tuesday to explain what health indicators had changed since last week to allow for the resumption of in-person learning.

"We have done everything we can to make our schools safe for our students," the health minister told a news conference, adding that all students would be provided with three-ply masks. "We are taking every step that we can possibly take to make sure our schools are safe for our children .... We needed just a bit more time to get those provisions in place."

Karen Brown, president of the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario, said while many teachers want to return to in-person learning, some are concerned about inadequate safety measures.

"What they've announced so far is not enough," Brown said. "We're almost two years into this pandemic. Why are we still asking for those things?"

Prince Edward Island reported a series of outbreaks across the province Tuesday, including in nine early learning child-care centres and clusters of cases in a long-term care facility, as well as within the population that regularly accesses shelters in Charlottetown.

A new poll suggests a slim majority of Canadians supported the latest round of lockdowns and other government-imposed restrictions. Fifty-six per cent of respondents agreed governments are making the right decisions to limit the spread of Omicron.

The survey, conducted by Leger and the Association of Canadian Studies, also found 64 per cent of respondents said they supported vaccine passports for malls and other retail outlets, including liquor and cannabis shops but excluding grocery stores. The poll showed 61 per cent of respondents wanted vaccine requirements for public transit users.

Sixty-two per cent of respondents said they were satisfied with the federal government’s response to COVID-19.

The online survey of 1,547 Canadians was conducted between Jan. 5 and Jan. 7. It wasn't assigned a margin of error because internet-based polls are not considered random samples.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 11, 2022.

— With files from Jacob Serebrin in Montreal and Holly McKenzie-Sutter and Noushin Ziafati in Toronto

Michael MacDonald, The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting