Taber and District Health Foundation preparing for several fundraising initiatives

·3 min read

The Taber and District Health Foundation have several fundraisers coming up this spring to help the Taber Health Centre raise money for more stretchers and equipment for the Labour and Delivery Suites.

The first fundraiser that will be coming up is the Blizzard Treat Day on April 29 at the Taber Dairy Queen. You can take part in this fundraiser by purchasing one or more Blizzards with proceeds going to the Taber and District Health Foundation.

“The generous owners of the Dairy Queen here in town have designated this day for funds to come towards the Taber and District Health Foundation to support healthcare initiatives on-site,” said Vicki Koersen, fundraising coordinator, in reference to Blizzard Treat Day.

Last year the event raised $5,100 to support healthcare initiatives at the Taber Hospital Centre. “Many thanks to the staff at DQ. Those kids, they were making over 100 Blizzards an hour during the course of that day,” Koersen said.

The next fundraiser will happen on May 11 and will be McHappy Day at the local McDonald’s restaurant. This will be the 28th McHappy Day at Canadian McDonald’s and funds raised on that day will go towards the purchase of a NICU Qube Mini Monitor for the labour and delivery suites at the Taber Hospital Centre.

“So it’s a two-year initiative this year,” Koersen said about McHappy Day. “We are raising funds to purchase two NICU Qube Mini Monitors to monitor the vital signs of paediatric patients, specifically babies.”

To participate in the McHappy Day fundraiser, you can travel to the Taber McDonald’s with 75 per cent of all sales on May 11 donated to the Taber and District Health Foundation and the remaining 25 per cent will be donated to Ronald McDonald House Charities in Calgary. Last year, funds raised from McHappy Day were used to purchase a Paediatric Crash Cart for the Taber Hospital Emergency Department.

After those two fundraisers, the Taber and District Health Foundation will be working with the Taber and District Kiwanis Club on the annual Kiwanis Golf Tournament being held on June 9. Funds raised will be used towards the purchase of three stretchers at a cost of $33,804 for the Emergency department.

“The Taber Hospital is increasing capacity by designating a recovery room in Acute Care for day surgery procedures,” said Koersen. “Currently, the Emergency department is also the day surgery recovery area and, of course, that changes how many people can be monitored with an emergency if those beds are already full. The site is taking three of those beds and putting them in the new recovery room and then replacing the stretchers in the Emergency department with three brand new ones. Two of the three stretchers will have a weigh scale attached which will help staff to determine the amount of medication needed if the patient is having problems and needs to be transferred with STARS. The helicopters can only hold a certain amount of weight. The third bed will have an alarm which will help the staff to keep track of patients who present as a fall hazard or patients who continually try to get off the bed.”

Ian Croft, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Taber Times

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting