Thai Beach Murders Fund Beats £10k Target

Thai Beach Murders Fund Beats £10k Target

The family of a British backpacker killed in Thailand have raised enough money to attend the trial of two men accused of murdering her.

Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk, and David Miller, 24, from Jersey, were bludgeoned to death on Koh Tao (Turtle Island) in September.

Two Burmese workers, both 21, are due to stand trial for their murders on 8 July.

Miss Witheridge's sister, Laura, set up a fund-raising campaign to help her family pay for flights to Thailand and a court translator.

The Gofundme appeal has now raised £11,446 - more than their initial £10,000 target.

"We are completely stunned by the selflessness and kindness of everyone around us," said Laura.

"The pressure and worry that has been lifted through hitting our goal is enormous ... we can now focus our energy and time on preparing for the very difficult months that lie ahead.

"The past six months have been indescribably horrific ... no matter how long I sat here and tried, I would never be able to expose the hell that our family has endured.

"I've learnt that there are monsters walking among us and that human beings really are the most dangerous creatures on earth.

"But, I've also been shown that there are still good, honest, genuine people in the world ... people with good hearts ... people who care ... people who are selfless and kind."

She said that despite having hit their £10,000 target, the appeal will be left open with surplus money donated back to charity.

The murder trial is scheduled to last several months, and the family of five hope to travel to Thailand twice - for the beginning and end of the hearing.

Bar workers Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun are accused of killing Miss Witheridge and Mr Miller. They also face a rape charge.

They initially confessed to the murders, but later retracted their confessions, saying they had been beaten by Thai police.

The police deny this and say they have solid evidence against them.

Ms Witheridge died from head wounds, while Mr Miller suffered severe blows to the head and subsequently drowned, according to post-mortem examinations.