Thousands of civilians evacuated from Ukraine’s frontline Kharkiv Oblast

More than 10,000 people have been evacuated from Kharkiv Oblast
More than 10,000 people have been evacuated from Kharkiv Oblast

More than 10,000 people have been evacuated from the northern frontline Kharkiv Oblast since the beginning of the new Russian offensive, regional governor Oleh Synehubov reported on Telegram on May 19.

Residents of Chuhuiv, Kharkiv, and Bohodukhiv districts are being evacuated.

Russian advance in Kharkiv Oblast

Russian troops have heavily shelled border settlements in Kharkiv Oblast, initiating a new wave of counteroffensives. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced the redeployment of Ukrainian forces to the Kharkiv sector in response.

The Ukrainian Armed Forces General Staff reported tactical successes by Russian forces near Vovchansk on May 13, but noted that the situation on the Kharkiv front remains difficult.

The Institute for the Study of War believes that attacking Vovchansk and attempting to encircle the city is a priority for Russian troops.

Local authorities reported that Vovchansk was almost completely destroyed by relentless Russian shelling on May 14, describing the situation in the city as critical.

On May 15, Oleksiy Kharkivsky, the chief of Vovchansk's patrol police, reported that Russian invaders were taking positions on the city’s streets.

Read also: Civilians taken hostage, executed by Russian forces in Vovchansk

The Ukrainian General Staff later confirmed the advance of Russian troops into northern Vovchansk.

Ukraine has so far managed to "increase confidence" in the direction of Vovchansk, Kharkiv Oblast, Zelenskyy said on May 16. He stated that the counterattack actions of the Armed Forces are taking place in various areas, in particular in the border areas of Kharkiv Oblast.

The Russian troops have expanded the area of active combat operations by almost 70 kilometers during the offensive in Kharkiv Oblast to force the Ukrainian Armed Forces to bring in new brigades from the reserve, Commander-in-Chief Oleksandr Syrskyi said on May 17.

We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!

Read the original article on The New Voice of Ukraine