Three fires in one day

·2 min read

It was an eventful start to the week for the Elizabethtown-Kitley Fire Department.

Firefighters were called into action three times for different fires on Monday from dawn to nearly dusk.

The busy day started when workers at Brampton Brick, on County Road 29, discovered a fire between walls at 7:19 a.m.

Fire Chief Jim Donovan said the fire was located where a conveyor system penetrates the wall. Employees at the location were able to contain the fire with the use of dry chemical fire extinguishers and buckets of water before the fire department arrived

However, upon opening the wall, the fire crew on scene noticed more flames that were then immediately extinguished.

“It appeared that the fire had been smouldering between the insulated walls for some time before smoke was visible,” said Donovan.

“From the charring and the slow burn… you can tell it very likely smouldered over the weekend.”

Tuesday morning, Donovan said the cause of the fire was believed to be from some material getting caught in a roller on the conveyor and overheating.

One pumper and a tanker responded. Damage was minimal and production at the facility was not affected, said the chief.

The next call came in just after noon for a garage fire on Pettem Road off County Road 46.

Unlike the limited damage of the morning blaze, the garage was a total loss, said Donovan.

The fire chief said the occupant of the garage was repairing a gas tank from a vehicle. A spark from a tool being used ignited fumes, with the fire spreading rapidly to engulf the building.

Along with the garage and all contents being lost, vinyl siding on a home close to the fire sustained damage from the heat.

Four tankers, one pumper and one rescue truck responded to that fire.

Donovan said the occupant of the garage was not injured. No estimate on the cost of damages or loss was known at the time of publication.

The final fire of the day occurred on County Road 26, around Bethel, at 5:13 p.m.

An old outdoor furnace ignited the wooden base of the structure, with the fire spreading to grass along a fence line.

"It’s pretty rare," said Donovan, for a furnace to cause an ignition the way it did, adding the age most likely had something to do with the cause of the fire.

Donovan said a neighbour spotted the fire before it had a chance to advance into an open field, with property loss being at a minimum.

One pumper and a tanker responded to the scene.

Marshall Healey, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Brockville Recorder and Times