Toxins found in shellfish sold at Lunenburg fish shop

·1 min read
The Department of Health and Wellness says anyone who bought mussels or clams at the Corkums Island Mussel Farm on Thursday should discard them. (Shutterstock - image credit)
The Department of Health and Wellness says anyone who bought mussels or clams at the Corkums Island Mussel Farm on Thursday should discard them. (Shutterstock - image credit)

Officials are warning Nova Scotians about potential toxins in mussels and clams sold at a fish shop in Lunenburg on Thursday.

In a media release Saturday, the Department of Health and Wellness said the Canadian Food Inspection Agency found toxins in blue mussels harvested Monday that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning.

"Mussels and clams harvested on that day were sold to two customers on June 2 at the Corkums Island Mussel Farm and Fish Shop," the release said.

Anyone who ate clams or mussels sold at the shop on Thursday, the department says, should seek medical attention if they're experiencing any of the following symptoms:

  • Tingling.

  • Numbness spreading from the lips and mouth to the face, neck and extremities.

  • Dizziness.

  • Arm and leg weakness or paralysis.

  • Headaches and nausea.

  • Respiratory failure.

In severe cases, consumption can cause death.

Symptoms start quickly, between 30 minutes and three hours.

"Cooking or freezing will not remove the toxin," the release said.

The department says there have been no reported illnesses.

A spokesperson for the Department of Health and Wellness said the toxin was discovered during a routine inspection and no other unsafe areas have been identified.

It said the presence of the toxins found result from conditions in the marine environment, not from issues with harvesting or processing.

MORE TOP STORIES 

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting