Father on trial in daughter's death didn't call 911 for 40 minutes although she wasn't breathing, court hears

A father accused of murdering his four-year-old didn't call 911 for at least 40 minutes despite his daughter suffering a "catastrophic" spinal injury that left her unconscious and in cardiac arrest, a judge in Calgary was told Monday.

Oluwatosin Oluwafemi is charged with second-degree murder in the death of his daughter, Olive Rebekah Oluwafemi.

In the hours after her death on Dec. 19, 2014, police took photos of the child's body showing injuries covering her entire body from her ears to her feet.

Oluwafemi's trial got underway Monday morning with prosecutor Melissa Bond outlined the evidence in an opening statement.

Prosecutors say Oluwafemi was the only one who had the opportunity to inflict the fatal injuries on Rebekah.

Husband calls wife, not 911

On that day in 2014, Oluwatosin Oluwafemi's wife, Itunu Oluwafemi, left for work around 8:30 a.m.

Around noon, a furnace repairman showed up at the Oluwafemi's home and is expected to testify that he observed Rebekah in the family room playing quietly.

Just after 3 p.m., Oluwatosin called his wife. She left work immediately and arrived home 20 minutes later to see her husband performing CPR on their daughter. 

Shortly after that, a family friend also arrived at the Oluwafemi home where she "observed Rebekah's lifeless body." Tayo Awotesu told Rebekah's parents to call 911

By 3:40 p.m., paramedics arrived at the house. They found the girl unconscious, not breathing and in cardiac arrest. 

Rebekah was taken to hospital but was pronounced dead at 4:43 p.m.

Medical staff contacted police. A detective took photos of Rebekah's body that showed injuries all over her body including bruises on her head, neck, ear, chest, back, legs, arms, hands, thighs and feet.

The fatal injury was a "catastrophic injury" to her cervical spine.

Parents uncooperative, investigators say

At the time of Oluwafemi's arrest, investigators said the parents were unco-operative and had told police Rebekah was injured when she fell down the stairs.

The medical examiner found the child died of several blunt force injuries.

Oluwafemi and his family moved to Ontario within weeks of Rebekah's death and were living in Keswick, north of Toronto.

Oluwafemi was charged one year after her death. 

He's currently out on bail. 

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Suzanne Bensler is presiding over the three-week trial. 

Oluwafemi is represented by defence lawyer Rebecca Snukal. Melissa Bond and Donna Spaner are prosecuting the case.