* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 1.77 percent to 18,924.76
* Leading the index were West Fraser Timber Co Ltd , up 14.4%, Interfor Corp, up 9%, and Bombardier Inc, higher by 8.6%.
* Lagging shares were Capstone Copper Corp, down 2.7%, Franco-Nevada Corp, down 2.4%, and Cronos Group Inc, lower by 1.8%.
* On the TSX 207 issues rose and 30 fell as a 6.9-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 3 new highs and 2 new lows, with total volume of 149.5 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Athabasca Oil Corp, Baytex Energy Corp and Crescent Point Energy Corp.
* The TSX's energy group rose 4.97 points, or 2.3%, while the financials sector climbed 7.65 points, or 2.2%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.59%, or $1.63, to $104.23 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.09%, or $1.16, to $107.43 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 10.8% for the year.
This summary was machine generated July 19 at 20:03.