* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.32 percent to 16,697.97
* Leading the index were Cogeco Communications Inc <CCA.TO>, up 15.0%, Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc , up 7.5%, and Canada Goose Holdings Inc , higher by 6.1%.
* Lagging shares were Ballard Power Systems Inc , down 8.3%, Enerplus Corp, down 7.0%, and ARC Resources Ltd, lower by 6.2%.
* On the TSX 124 issues rose and 94 fell as a 1.3-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 9 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 203.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Suncor Energy Inc , Whitecap Resources Inc and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd.
* The TSX's energy group fell 1.82 points, or 2.3%, while the financials sector climbed 1.19 points, or 0.4%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 2.76%, or $1.18, to $41.58 a barrel. Brent crude fell 2.65%, or $1.21, to $44.37 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 2.1% for the year.