* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.98 percent to 20,257.95
* Leading the index were Sunopta Inc , up 7.8%, Methanex Corp, up 5.8%, and Lithium Americas Corp, higher by 5.4%.
* Lagging shares were Canfor Corp, down 2.4%, Trillium Therapeutics Inc, down 2.2%, and Intertape Polymer Group Inc, lower by 1.5%.
* On the TSX 190 issues rose and 37 fell as a 5.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 20 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 152.8 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Toronto-dominion Bank, Bank Of Nova Scotia and Royal Bank Of Canada.
* The TSX's energy group rose 1.09 points, or 0.8%, while the financials sector climbed 3.62 points, or 1.0%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 2.32%, or $1.69, to $74.63 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.98%, or $1.47, to $75.59 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 16.2% for the year.
This summary was machine generated July 9 at 21:24.