NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX rose 113.73 points, or 0.71 percent, to 16,196.04.
* Leading the index were Aurora Cannabis Inc , up 10.4 percent, Aphria Inc , up 6.6 percent, and Canopy Growth Corp , higher by 6.5 percent.
* Lagging shares were Interfor Corp , down 5.6 percent, West Fraser Timber Co Ltd, down 4.9 percent, and Canfor Corp, lower by 4.9 percent.
* On the TSX 153 issues rose and 90 fell as a 1.7-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 3 new highs and 2 new lows, with total volume of 228.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Canopy Growth Corp.
* The TSX's energy group rose 4.77 points, or 2.58 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.63 points, or 0.53 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.41 percent, or $0.97, to $69.88 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.23 percent, or $0.96, to $79.01 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 0.1 percent for the year.
(Reporting by Caroline Valetkevitch)