Two dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in southeast Calgary
A man and his daughter died due to carbon monoxide poisoning inside a residential garage on Friday night in southeast Calgary.
In a statement, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) said they responded to a call on the call 2500 block of 49th Avenue S.E. at around 8 p.m.
Paramedics did not transport anyone to hospital as they were determined to be dead on scene, according to a spokesperson with EMS.
The Calgary Police Service confirmed a man in his 40s succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning while working on his vehicle at his home.
A woman in her 20s, whom police identified as the male victim's daughter, attempted to save the man but was overcome by fumes and died. Two dogs also died.
In a Saturday statement, the Calgary Fire Department said crews used gas monitors to confirm there were high levels of carbon monoxide in the garage and moved the occupants to a fresh air environment to begin life-saving efforts.
Calgary fire officials said the source of the carbon monoxide appeared to be a vehicle left running in the garage.
Police are currently investigating. The medical examiner has determined the deaths were accidental.