Unattended heat gun causes Springfield house fire

·1 min read

A fire at a Springfield home caused an estimated $400,000 in damages on Sunday, April 19.

Malahide Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 51289 Ron McNeil Line at 5:50 p.m. A neighbour called emergency services after noticing fire on the outside of the building.

All three Malahide volunteer fire stations responded, with more than 30 firefighters on scene. There were no injuries, and the building was unoccupied when the fire started.

“The fire originated in the kitchen and made its way outside, up the siding and through the eaves and into the attic,” said Deputy Chief Don MacLean, adding it was “difficult in nature due to the voids within the attic, and trying to locate them and extinguish the fire.”

Firefighters were on scene until about 11 p.m extinguishing hot spots. The building was then released back to the homeowner at this time.

The cause was determined to be a heat gun that was left on and unattended. While the value of loss was estimated to be about $400,000, this could increase if the insurance company believes it would be more economically feasible to rebuild, said Deputy Chief MacLean.

“We remind all citizens to not leave cooking, candles, heating appliances and open burns unattended.”

Veronica Reiner, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Aylmer Express