Net Sales Returned Positive as Domestic and International Trips Rose Steadily
Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing that net sales from ARC-accredited travel agencies increased 337% month-over-month from May to June 2020. This represents the highest monthly sales growth since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. Year-over-year net sales were down 94%, with the consolidated dollar value of tickets transacted by agencies last month totaling $469 million, compared to $7.9 billion in June 2019.*
Month over month, June 2020 results show:
- A 56% increase in number of passenger trips; and
- U.S. domestic trips and international trips up 57% and 53%, respectively.
Compared to 2019, the total number of passenger trips settled by ARC in June was down 76%, from 23,997,714 to 5,686,598. U.S. domestic trips decreased 72% YOY to 4.3 million, while international trips numbered 1.4 million, an 84% decrease YOY. The average U.S. round-trip ticket price decreased from $512 in 2019 to $374 in June 2020.
Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD)** sales showed a decrease YOY as well, down 69% to $2,078,728. EMD transaction volume experienced a slightly smaller decrease, down 76% YOY in June 2020, totaling 41,747.
More detailed information is available on ARC’s website.
As a leader in air travel intelligence and omnichannel retailing, ARC provides platforms, tools and insights that help the global travel community connect, grow and thrive. ARC enables the diverse retailing strategies of its customers by providing innovative technology, flexible settlement solutions and access to the world’s most comprehensive air transaction dataset. In 2019, ARC managed more than $97.4 billion in transactions between airlines and travel agencies, representing more than 302 million passenger trips. For more information, please visit arccorp.com.
Notes for Editors:
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending June 30, 2020, from 11,644 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- Average ticket price (in USD) for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using either direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. Domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all of the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked luggage, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
©2020 Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.