Church Mutual Offers Resources to Guide and Protect Houses of Worship
Across the country houses of worship are taking steps to keep worshippers safe from the coronavirus. Yet their most important mission, offering refuge amid challenge and uncertainty is needed more than ever. Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I., (a stock insurer)1, the nation’s leading insurer of religious organizations, is offering faith leaders resources to help them minister virtually using technology and navigate cybersecurity concerns that arise from online giving.
"As our nation battles the coronavirus outbreak, many houses of worship are creatively addressing the needs of their faith community, communicating and conducting services virtually. Online worship poses potential new risks faith leaders need to consider," said Guy Russ, assistant vice president – Risk Control. "Key among them is online charitable giving. Knowing the cybersecurity risks associated with online giving options is critical now more than ever to keep congregations safe."
In addition to online worship and giving, house of worship leaders are facing many additional challenges. Church Mutual’s Pandemic Planning Resources assist faith leaders in navigating the current crisis, as well as those looking to the future. Resources include:
- Information on safety and agreement considerations for telecommuting employees;
- The Paycheck Protection Program approved through the CARES Act; and,
- Stimulus package applications.
"As more organizations embrace new and creative ways to worship, it’s important that they have the technology in place to support them, as well as the policies and procedures to protect them," added Russ. "To assist houses of worship that have not yet been able to convey their messages online, Church Mutual is developing a new technology to assist with virtual communications."
Visit Church Mutual at coronavirus.churchmutual.com for resources, new updates and information. Policyholders interested in conducting services or giving online should contact Church Mutual at (800) 554-2642 to reach a dedicated consultant.
1Church Mutual is a stock insurer whose policyholders are members of the parent mutual holding company formed on 1/1/2020. S.I. = a stock insurer.
About Church Mutual
Church Mutual Insurance Company, S.I., founded in 1897, offers specialized insurance for religious organizations of all denominations, public and private K-12 schools, colleges and universities, senior living facilities, secular and non-secular camps and conference centers, and nonprofit and human services organizations throughout the United States. Church Mutual markets most lines of commercial property and liability insurance, including multi-peril, workers' compensation and commercial auto insurance. In addition to insurance, Church Mutual provides a spectrum of value-added solutions that benefit its customers. Church Mutual holds the following honors:
- A.M. Best Company "A" (excellent) rating
- Benchmark Portal Top 10 National Customer Service Center
- Wisconsin 75 Top Private Company by Deloitte US, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Wisconsin 75 Distinguished Performer: Innovation by Deloitte US 2019
- Futuremakers Partner by Wisconsin Technical College System
- Celent Model Insurer for innovation and emerging technologies
- Award in Innovation for entrepreneurialism and innovation by National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies
- 2018-2019 Employer of the Year by Northcentral Technical College
Contact: Jennifer Johnson
Title: Corporate Communications Consultant