SAINT JOHN, N.B. — A police watchdog agency says New Brunswick RCMP officers who killed a knife-wielding man should not face charges.
The Serious Incident Response Team, referred to as SIRT, says in a report released today that the two responding officers had reasonable grounds to believe the force used was necessary to protect themselves during the Dec. 31, 2021 confrontation on the Kingston peninsula.
The report says the incident began when a woman went to the RCMP detachment in Hampton, N.B., to report that she had been assaulted by her former partner and that he'd threatened to burn down their home.
The report says the man, whose name is not provided, refused to drop a knife when confronted by officers, and though he was hit by a stun gun and shot in the shoulder, he continued to lunge at the officers and struck one of the officers in the face with the knife.
SIRT concluded that while the first officer was on the ground, the man advanced toward the second officer, who then fired, hitting the man in the stomach area.
According to the report, the officers called for first aid and the person was transported to the hospital but died before arrival.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 19, 2022.
The Canadian Press