Businessman, 57, crushed to death by water buffalo on Welsh farm as son, 19, fights for life

Andy Wells
Freelance Writer
Ralph Jump (left and right) was killed in the water buffalo attack, while daughter Isabel (centre) suffered leg injuries. (Wales News)

A man has died and two people have been left with serious injuries after they were attacked by a water buffalo, police in Wales said.

Businessman Ralph Jump, 57, was crushed to death, while his 19-year-old son was left fighting for his life and his 22-year-old daughter was seriously injured when the giant animal rampaged at their village farm.

Emergency services were called to a commercial property in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire, at about 2.50pm on Tuesday after it was reported that two men and a woman had been attacked by the animal.

Jump, a managing director of heating company Wunda Group, rented the idyllic country farm to start a sustainable buffalo soap business with his family.

One person was killed by a rampaging water buffalo in Wales. (Wales News)

The dad-of-three – known as Jon – hand-reared the buffalo at their three-acre farm along with his youngest two children.

Daughter Isabel, 22, organised sales of hand-wrapped bars of scented soap – and the Bufalina Soap Company started selling them last year ahead of Christmas.

But their business dreams were shattered when one of the buffalo went on the rampage at their picturesque farm in the Wye Vallley.

Read more from Yahoo News UK:

Coronavirus: How does the NHS contact tracing app work?

Coronavirus: Italy 'could be heading for deadlier second peak'

Billions of people will live in 'barely survivable' conditions within 50 years

Jump was dead by the time police arrived and his son needed to be airlifted to hospital, where he is said to be "critical".

Daughter Isabel suffered leg injuries but is expected to recover.

Her mother Jo is being comforted by friends after the tragedy.

A commercial property in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire, where a man has died and two people have been injured after being attacked by a water buffalo. (PA)

The buffalo has now been put down.

A friend said: "Jon spent all his life in a shirt and tie but loved pulling on his wellies to get stuck in at the farm. He was as happy as anything there."

The Jump family rented the farmland from the Pontypool Park Estate. A spokesman said: "It is a terrible tragedy and we feel for them.

"The Jumps are very nice people and we feel desperately sorry for them."

A neighbour said the farm’s herd of water buffalo was a familiar sight and the animals were often seen in the fields with the horses.

They added the creatures always appeared to be quite quiet, and that the owners had been seen stroking them.

The family moved to the farm called Upper Berthllwyd about six years ago before introducing the buffalo over the last few years.

Another neighbour said: "You couldn't hope to meet nicer people. Their soap is very nice and they loved making it.

"This is such a quiet area and it was a terrible shock when ambulances and police suddenty turned up with an air ambulance helicopter too. It is a terrible shock."

A spokeswoman for Gwent Police said: "We received a report of an incident at a commercial property in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire, at around 2.50pm on Tuesday 5 May, after two men and a woman were attacked by a water buffalo.

"A 57-year-old man from the Gwehelog area was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics from Wales Ambulance Service.

A neighbour said the herd of water buffalo were a familiar sight on the farm. (Wales News)

"A 19-year-old man from the Gwehelog area sustained critical injuries during the incident. He has been taken to the University Hospital for Wales for treatment by the Welsh Air Ambulance.

"A 22-year-old woman from the Gwehelog area sustained a serious injury to her leg. Her injuries are not thought to be critical and she has been taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital for treatment by the Wales Ambulance Service.

"The water buffalo has been destroyed.

"Officers received assistance from the National Police Air Service (NPAS) at the scene."

Yahoo News UK has reached out to Wunda Group for a comment on Jump’s death but their offices remain closed during the coronavirus lockdown.

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK