Damage at abandoned home on Sandwich Street is estimated at $100,000 after heavy equipment was used to put out a stubborn blaze Wednesday morning.
The fire, which started Tuesday afternoon, sent thick smoke billowing into the sky and prompted Windsor firefighters to instruct nearby residents to close their windows and remain indoors.
Curtis Holness lives down the street from the fire and was shocked by the size of the blaze.
"It got me a little nervous," he said at the scene. "It was a lot bigger than I expected."
A section of the street was shut down as crews fought the fire that fully engulfed the empty house, but Windsor police said the road was open again Wednesday morning.
The cause of the fire can't be determined because of the extensive damage to the building, but there were no injuries, according to Windsor Fire Services.