- The Yahoo Canada Awards winners have been announced!
- "If I were PM" winner Yahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 1 Nov, 2012
- Canada's Media Mogul winner: Don CherryYahoo Canada Awards - Sun, 11 Nov, 2012
- Canada's next Prime Minister winner: Justin TrudeauYahoo Canada Awards - Sun, 11 Nov, 2012
- Buzziest story winner: Canada's women's soccer teamYahoo Canada Awards - Tue, 13 Nov, 2012
- Canada's best ambassador winner: Clara HughesYahoo Canada Awards - Sun, 11 Nov, 2012
- Best comeback winner: Sidney CrosbyYahoo Canada Awards - Mon, 12 Nov, 2012
- Buzziest Canadian winner: Christine SinclairYahoo Canada Awards - Tue, 13 Nov, 2012
- Tip of the Year winner: always warm upYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
- Greatest Achievement winner: Melissa MorrisYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
- Beaver Tail winner: Michael J. FoxYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
- Canadian Impact winner: Simple PlanYahoo Canada Awards - Sun, 11 Nov, 2012
- Ultimate Scandal winner: Kristen StewartYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
- Shining Moment winner: Rosie MacLennan's gold medalYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
- Memorable Moment winner: Dark Knight shootingYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
- Top Story winner: 2012 London OlympicsYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
- Grand slam winner:Higgs bosonYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
- Letdown of the Year winner: Facebook's IPOYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
- Biggest Blunder winner: Costa ConcordiaYahoo Canada Awards - Thu, 8 Nov, 2012
And The Nominees Are...
Whether it was Olympic gold medalist Gabrielle Douglas or bus monitor Karen Klein, it seemed like everyone had a story this year about bullying. The good part is, speaking out is becoming more prevalent, and the public tide is shifting towards the victims. "Once a social, happy-go-lucky kid gets bullied, they tend to turn into a lonely, introverted pre-teen. This can cause many affects and damage on a child. Rather it's their appearance, the way they walk, talk and speak can be very dramatizing. No child or teen should have to go through such torture from a bully. We are all different in every aspect. We were made that way. It would be no fun to be exactly the same."
Two years after Canadians discovered a new sense of nationalism watching their athletes deliver in Vancouver the country's greatest Olympics ever, the British rode a similar euphoric wave seeing their sports stars shine on their home soil in London. When spectators weren't enjoying beach volleyball at Horse Guards Palace, tennis at the All England Club and both opening and closing ceremonies that celebrated the country's heritage, humour and music legends, they were watching Team Great Britain deliver its best Summer Games ever.
Whitney Houston's death
The music world was blindsided by Whitney Houston's untimely death on Feb. 11, 2012, the evening before the Grammy Awards. Although the 48-year-old singer had struggled with drug addiction and a tumultuous, doomed marriage to Bobby Brown, her fans were hoping that things were looking up, especially considering she was due to make her big-screen comeback in "Sparkle," opposite "American Idol" winner Jordin Sparks. Sadly, Houston's comeback was not to be, as she was found dead in her hotel bathtub, and a toxicology report later revealed the presence of cocaine, Benadryl, Xanax, marijuana and Flexiril in her system. Millions mourned Houston's death and her funeral, broadcast on both television and the Internet, featured moving speeches and performances from friends, family members and former coworkers, including her "Bodyguard" co-star Kevin Costner. Despite Houston's death, her final performance in "Sparkle" was seen when the film was released Aug. 17, and her legacy as one of the world's most talented singers will live on for decades to come.
Porn actor and model Luka Magnotta dominated headlines this summer when he allegedly killed and dismembered Jun Lin and mailed his severed limbs to the Conservative Party headquarters and an elementary school in Vancouver. Magnotta went on the run before being nabbed at an Internet cafe in Berlin.