Yukon announces 3 new COVID-19 cases as quarantine rules go into effect

·1 min read

WHITEHORSE — Yukon's top doctor is announcing three new cases of COVID-19, as the territory enters a new stage of quarantine.

As of Friday, Yukon requires visitors to isolate for two weeks, and the territory's order issued this week advises against all but essential travel to or from the territory in an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19.

The new cases bring Yukon's total to 29.

Chief medical officer of health Dr. Brendan Hanley says the three new cases are linked to a previous case.

He says in a statement that the investigation into the case is underway, along with contract tracing protocols.

Hanley and Premier Sandy Silver warned earlier this week that the territory could face further restrictions, such as a mandatory mask policy, if the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 20, 2020.

The Canadian Press