A three-year-old boy is dead after falling into a grease trap outside of a fast food restaurant in New York.
The death was confirmed by police in Rochester, who said they were called to the Tim Horton’s restaurant to help locate a missing child just before 11 am local time on Monday.
Police then received a follow up call indicating the child had been found, and that he had fallen through a plastic cap into the grease trap.
After removing the child, CPR was administered, but the emergency measures did not succeed.
Witnesses later told the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle that employees were seen crying and consoling one another as the child was put into an ambulance.
The three-year-old was pronounced dead at the hospital.
“This is a horrible, unimaginable unspeakable tragedy,” police investigator Francis Camp told the newspaper.
An initial investigation found that the grease trap was located about six feet from the restaurant, a Tim Horton’s.
Grease traps are typically steel vats used to store used oil and grease in liquid form.