8-Year-Old Girl Died Suddenly After Becoming ‘Ill and Unresponsive’ on Flight to Chicago

8-year-old Sydney Weston had been traveling with her family from Joplin, Missouri to Chicago

<p>Getty</p> A stock image of an ambulance


A stock image of an ambulance

An 8-year-old girl has died after becoming unwell during a flight to Chicago.

On Thursday, June 13, Peoria County Coroner's Office revealed the child, identified as Sydney Weston, was pronounced dead at 8:05 a.m. local time after she was rushed to a local hospital.

According to a statement shared on social media, the girl's parents alerted flight personnel when she became ill and unresponsive while aboard.

“The child, 8-year-old Sydney Weston, of Carl Junction, MO, was traveling with her family for vacation when she suddenly became ill and then unresponsive in flight,” the statement read. “Her family immediately notified the flight personnel of her condition, and they began rapidly rendering aid. Upon landing in Peoria, she was not breathing and had no pulse.”

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Related: Woman, 41, Dies After She 'Fell Ill' on American Airlines Flight from the Dominican Republic

According to the release, life-saving measures were performed by deputies, AMT Personnel and Air National Guard Fire personnel.

“Little Weston was emergently transported to OSF Healthcare Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria, where, despite aggressive resuscitative efforts, she was pronounced deceased at 8:05 am this morning,” officials said. An autopsy has been scheduled for Friday, June 14.

<p>Getty</p> A stock image of a police patrol car


A stock image of a police patrol car

According to flight data from FlightAware, theUnited flight 5121 — operating under SkyWest Airlines — departed from Joplin at 5:51 a.m. before landing in Peoria at 7:02 a.m.

Meanwhile, the Peoria County Sheriff's Office released a statement, stating that at around 7:00 a.m. on Thursday, June 13, they responded “to 6100 W. Everett McKinley Dirksen Parkway on a flight landing at the Peoria International Airport for a medical emergency.”

Related: U.S. Man, 41, Dead After Experiencing 'Medical Condition' on Fiji Airways Flight to San Francisco

PEOPLE has contacted the Peoria International Airport and SkyWest Airlines for comment.

"Please keep the child's family and everyone who was involved in this traumatic experience in your thoughts and prayers," Peoria County Sheriff Chris Watkins said in a statement on social media.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.