Anger over new romance led Wichita man to strangle his child’s mother and kill a man

A seven-day trial ended Thursday night with jurors finding a 29-year-old Wichita man guilty of first-degree murder in a Dec. 3, 2019 fatal shooting at an southeast Wichita duplex.

Chevy Omar Jones was also found guilty on other charges related to strangling his child’s mother, killing 31-year-old Robert Junior because she had slept with him and then ramming a police vehicle days after the killing when police tried to arrest him, according to the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office. The woman survived.

The jury found Jones guilty of a misdemeanor battery for ramming the unmarked police vehicle, criminal damage to property for hitting that vehicle and criminal possession of a firearm by a felon.

A sentencing date is not yet set.

Jones will spend at least the next 50 years in prison for the premeditated, first-degree murder before he is eligible for parole.

The jury trial started April 16. The jury began its deliberations at 4:15 p.m. Thursday and reached a verdict at 6:30 p.m.

The jury found him guilty of aggravated domestic battery for strangulation and domestic battery involving his child’s mother in October 2019, after finding out about her romantic relationship with Junior that summer, deputy DA Aaron Breitenbach said.

Jones continued to be angry about what happened “which ultimately leads to him killing Robert Junior,” Breitenbach said.

A neighbor found Junior shot near the driveway of the duplex they both lived in in the 8500 block of East Parkmont. Police were called at 2:20 a.m.

A few days later, police went to arrest Jones as he got into a 2002 Grand Marquis in a parking lot at the apartments in the 2600 block of South Topeka. He took off in the vehicle and rammed police Lt. Chad Beard, who was in an unmarked vehicle.

Beard was taken to the hospital for minor injuries before being released. The vehicle was registered to Jones’ child’s mother.

Jones ran away and went inside the Walmart at Pawnee and Broadway before being arrested. He also had a handgun on him.

Junior helped organize a 2019 event to unite the community after a well-known rapper was killed in Los Angeles.

“From what I knew, he was a good guy,” council member Brandon Johnson said. “Motivated to make more of himself and give back to his community.”