- A British diver involved in the Thai cave rescue mission has indicated he may sue Elon Musk over comments made by the billionaire.
- Musk called the diver a "pedo" on Sunday in a tweet he later deleted.
- The diver had criticized the submarine that the CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, and The Boring Company delivered to Thailand as being a "PR stunt."
- "It's not finished," Unsworth told the Australian news media on Monday, adding that Musk's insult meant "people realize what kind of guy he is."
A British diver involved in the Thai cave rescue has said he is considering suing Elon Musk for describing him as a "pedo."
Asked by Australia's Channel 7 News on Monday whether he was considering taking legal action, the British caver Vernon Unsworth quickly replied.
"Yes, it's not finished," he said. "It's not finished. I believe he's called me a pedophile. Well, by definition, you're rescuing 12 young boys, by definition that puts everybody in the same context."
He added: "I'm not going to make any further comment about him, but I think people realize what sort of guy he is."
Musk became associated with the rescue when he delivered a "kid-size" submarine to Thailand in an effort to help rescue 12 boys and their soccer coach who had become trapped in a flooded cave.
Musk personally visited Thailand to deliver the sub, but many of the boys had already been rescued by the time he arrived, and Unsworth, who lives in Thailand and has spent years exploring the Tham Luang cave system where the boys were trapped, called Musk's actions a "PR stunt" and said the sub had "absolutely no chance of working." All the boys and their coach were ultimately rescued without using the submarine.
Unsworth said the CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, and The Boring Company "can stick his submarine where it hurts."
In response to the criticism, Musk addressed Unsworth in a tweet.
"Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it," Musk wrote.
Musk deleted his tweet thread on Sunday evening, but Unsworth has saved copies.
"I have a lot of support from people around the world astonished by his unfounded comments," Unsworth said, according to The Guardian.
- Elon Musk called a British diver from the Thai cave rescue a 'pedo guy' — then deleted the tweets hours later with no explanation
- The Thai government responded to Elon Musk, and said his submarine idea is 'not practical' for the cave rescue
- Elon Musk is posting photos and videos of the Thai cave rescue operation — and SpaceX confirmed he's there