Without naming Styles by name, Scotland Yard confirmed Tuesday that an incident seeming to match the circumstances of the alleged assault on the pop star had occurred.
More from Variety
- Caroline Flack's Death Ruled Suicide as Unpublished Instagram Post Surfaces
- Watch Billie Eilish Perform the James Bond Theme 'No Time to Die' at the Brit Awards
- 'Love Island' Returns to Air As ITV Defends Treatment of Caroline Flack
“Police are investigating reports of a knife point robbery in Spaniards Road, Hampstead,” a spokesperson confirmed to Variety. “Officers were contacted on Saturday, 15 February regarding the incident which happened at 23.50 hrs on Friday, 14 February. It was reported that a man in his 20s was approached by another man and threatened him with a knife. The victim was not injured; however, cash was taken from him. No arrests, and enquiries are ongoing.”
According to a source that spoke about the mugging with the Mirror in the UK, Styles“actually played it pretty cool, quickly giving the assailant cash, keeping himself and the guy calm and getting the situation over with. Understandably though, it left him very shaken up afterwards.”
Styles appeared none the worse for wear as he posed for photographers on the red carpet at the Brits, although he may have had a different reason for a sober demeanor, as well as the black ribbon he wore, apparently as a symbol of mourning. British TV personality Caroline Flack, whom Styles dated in 2011, was found dead Saturday of an apparent suicide, and it’s believed Styles was wearing the ribbon in her memory.
Best of Variety
- Oscars 2020: The Complete Winners List
- Final Oscar Predictions: Who Will Win in the Major Categories?
- Oscars 2020: How to Stream and Watch Online