Members of the public detain abusive knife attacker who stabbed his ex-partner

Heroic members of the public restrained an abusive knife attacker who stabbed his ex-partner of eleven years repeatedly in public.

Passers-by detained Arif Ahmet Alidov, 51, after he carried out the terrifying attack, leaving his victim critically injured, on July 30, 2022 and also gave first aid to her.

Alidov, of Edmonton, was sentenced on April 12 to 26 years behind bars at Wood Green Crown Court for a string of offences including attempted murder, threats to kill, and strangulation.

The court heard how on July 6, Alidov went to the woman’s workplace and attempted to drag her off the premises by her hair, before her colleagues intervened.

He pushed her to the floor, knocking her unconscious. Later the same day, he threatened to kill her over the phone, saying: “If you try and call the police and tell them about this, I will kill you”.

The following day, he fled to Bulgaria - but he took his victim’s passport with him in a bid to prevent her from leaving him.

When he returned to the UK, the victim received a message from a phone belonging to one of Alidov’s relatives, saying the victim could get her passport back.

But when she arrived, Alidov was there instead, who then beat her, strangled her and again threatened to kill her.

The following day the victim once again met Alidov in an attempt to get her passport back.

Alidov punched her, causing her to fall to the floor, and stabbed her several times, leaving her unresponsive.

When officers arrived Alidov had been restrained by the public and the victim was also supported by an off-duty nurse who stayed with her until the ambulance arrived.

Met Detective Constable Bex Heitlinger said: “This is a really serious case of a domestic abuse. On several occasions Alidov inflicted horrific violence on his then partner of eleven years.

“The final incident of violence led to her being stabbed and left in a critical condition. “I would like to personally thank members of the public who administered first aid to the victim and who detained Alidov while they waiting for police to arrive. Without them, the situation may have had a very different outcome.”

The victim received life-saving treatment in hospital, police said, and was later discharged.