Mental health concerns for Calgary woman accused of trying to kill stranger on C-Train tracks

There are serious mental health concerns for the Calgary woman accused of trying to kill an unsuspecting C-Train traveller by pushing her off a platform.

Stephanie Favel, 35, is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and breach of probation.

Rozalia Meichl, 64, remains in hospital with a severed spine and head injuries after being pushed off the platform in the unprovoked attack last Thursday.

Favel, clad in a burgundy sweat suit, appeared briefly over closed-circuit television in a Calgary courtroom Tuesday morning. Favel's boyfriend was in the courtroom for support.

Defence lawyer Adriano Iovinelli told Judge Paul Mason there are concerns about Favel's mental health and asked that she return to court Wednesday morning to see a forensic psychiatrist.

Stephanie Favel/Facebook

Prosecutor Sonya Bertrand indicated the victim's family had been outside the courtroom and had indicated they wanted to be present for the appearance but disappeared before Favel's case was called.

This is the second time Favel has been charged with attempted murder in connection to attacks on strangers. The first charge from 2015 was withdrawn, something her family has said they're now struggling with.

Meichl's spine severed in fall

On Thursday, Meichl had been out with a friend and was on her way home when she was shoved off the Victoria Park LRT Station platform and onto the tracks as a train was arriving.

The train stopped just in time to avoid hitting her.

Meichl's family said she had a pre-existing condition that involved a spinal fusion, so the drop severed her spine. 

She also had head trauma after hitting her head on the track and can't remember much from the attack.

A Calgary Transit peace officer took a suspect into custody soon after.

Originally suffering life-threatening injuries, Meichl's condition has been upgraded to stable.

A friend of the family has started an online fundraiser to support her, as doctors have advised she'll require permanent daily medical supervision once she recovers enough to go home.