Met police officer stabbed while trying to arrest knifeman in Enfield

The stabbing happened in Mandeville Road, Enfield (Google Street View)
The stabbing happened in Mandeville Road, Enfield (Google Street View)

A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a Met police officer was stabbed in a residential street in north London.

The officer sustained “serious injuries to his shoulder” as he tried to apprehend a man armed with a knife, in Enfield on Tuesday afternoon.

Fellow officers reportedly had to use a tourniquet to stem the flow of bleeding.The incident happened after police were called to Mandeville Road at 4.20pm on Tuesday, to reports of a man with a knife.

“The officer was immediately supported by his colleagues who helped disarm and detain the suspect and seized a knife,” said a Met spokesperson on Wednesday.

“The officers also rushed to administer first aid treatment, including using a tourniquet.

“The officer was then taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service. He is in a stable condition.”

A 30-year old man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

An investigation remains underway.

Assistant Commissioner Matt Jukes said: "This officer has shown immense bravery apprehending a suspect, armed with a knife. Visiting him in hospital after he was injured, I was struck by his courage and humility.

“He didn’t want to talk about his own actions but to praise the professionalism of the police medic and other colleagues who provided him with vital first aid, and arrested the suspect.

“He was in good spirits and spoke with pride about the work his team do, protecting Londoners. And yesterday, he did just that – stepped forward to put himself between the public and a clearly dangerous individual.

“In doing so, he showed the best of the Met and reminded us of the daily challenges officers face while doing their duty to protect the public. The officer and the Met would also like to thank colleagues in the NHS for their care.

“The local community can be reassured that the incident was dealt with swiftly and that a thorough investigation is now underway.”