Stepdad Charged in Fentanyl Death of Ky. Boy, Weeks After Death Was Believed to Be Caused By Allergic Reaction

Trey Harris, 8, died of fentanyl intoxication, and his stepfather now faces drug trafficking and second-degree manslaughter charges, said police

<p>MADISONVILLE POLICE DEPT/FACEBOOK, MASON BROTHERS FUNERAL SERVICES</p> Anthony Person (L) has been charged in the fentanyl death of his stepson Trey Major Harris, 8


Anthony Person (L) has been charged in the fentanyl death of his stepson Trey Major Harris, 8

The stepfather of the Kentucky 8-year-old boy who died last month from fentanyl has been charged with drug trafficking and second-degree manslaughter, police said.

The Hopkins County Coroner's Office previously confirmed to PEOPLE that 8-year-old Trey Major Harris died on March 15 from "Fentanyl Intoxication," after his death was originally thought to have been caused by an allergic reaction to strawberries. The manner of death has been labeled as "undetermined" thus far in the case.

The child's stepfather, 33-year-old Antonio Person, was arrested on March 26 after police issued a search warrant on his home nearly two weeks after Harris' death, the Madisonville Police Department said in a press release — adding that during the search, officers found a firearm, drugs and drug paraphernalia.

Person has been charged with second-degree manslaughter, trafficking fentanyl, possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, and possession of a handgun by a convicted felon, the Madisonville Police Department told PEOPLE.

According to records reviewed by PEOPLE, Person was booked into the Hopkins County Jail and is next set to appear in court on Friday, April 12. It is unclear if he's entered a plea or retained an attorney to speak on his behalf.

Related: Death of Kentucky Boy, 8, Caused by Fentanyl, Not Allergic Reaction to Strawberries, Coroner Says 

Trey's family told authorities he had eaten several strawberries from a school fundraiser on March 14 and had begun showing signs of an allergic reaction, the Madisonville Police said in an earlier press release. The family also said that Trey went home after the school function, took Benadryl for what they thought was an allergic reaction, soaked in a bath, and was later taken to an emergency room later that evening.

The family returned home with Harris after leaving the emergency room in the early morning hours of March, 15, police added. The 8-year-old then went to sleep.

Authorities stated that they had received a call about a boy "not breathing and unresponsive at his home" around 6:30 a.m. on March 15. Trey was taken to the medical examiner's office to undergo an autopsy, the police department added.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE's free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases. 

The Hopkins County Health Department issued a warning about the strawberries from the fundraiser last month, but the warning was discontinued after the fruit tested "negative," according to an announcement posted via Facebook on April 9.

In an obituary, Harris was remembered for leaving "an indelible mark on all blessed to know him, including his school, Hanson Elementary, and his second-grade class."

The obituary added that he loved baseball, basketball, skateboarding and football as well as riding his four-wheeler. He also had a passion for music and hoped to become a police officer.

"Trey dreamed of becoming a police officer in adulthood because he loved helping others. He was a fun-loving child who adored playing pranks on his mom especially, and laughing," the obituary read.

The Madisonville Police Department noted to PEOPLE that Harris' manner of death is still under investigation.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.