* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 1.13 percent to 19,501.36
* On the TSX 189 issues rose and 43 fell as a 4.4-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There was 1 new high and 2 new lows, with total volume of 108.7 million shares.
* The TSX's energy group rose 3.33 points, or 1.4%, while the financials sector climbed 4.55 points, or 1.3%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 0.46%, or $0.36, to $78.6 a barrel. Brent crude fell 1.19%, or $0.99, to $82.27 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 8.1% for the year.
This summary was machine generated December 29 at 21:05.