• 5 km of public roads shut down by private construction called 'alarming' by Toronto councillor

    "You can imagine removing five kilometres of sidewalks away from downtown, midtown Toronto. CBC Toronto requested that the city compile a list of where the closures exist, which developers are responsible for them and the length of each temporary closure. - The only full street shutdown is on Helendale Avenue for an expected 13-month closure to build a condo at 2388 Yonge St., in north Toronto.

  • Man accused in B.C. school stabbing breaks silence in court

    A man accused in a deadly stabbing at a British Columbia high school has broken his courtroom silence after rebuffing earlier attempts by court officials and lawyers to engage with him. Gabriel Klein, 21, spoke on several occasions with B.C. Supreme Court Justice James Williams in Chilliwack on Monday when asked whether he understood the next steps in his case.

  • Moscow, Beijing targeting Canada's secret info and technology, spy agency warns

    Canada's spy agency is openly warning that Russia and China are out to steal the country's most prized secrets. The Canadian Security Intelligence Service, which rarely identifies security threats by name, makes the frank statement in briefing notes prepared for service director Michel Coulombe. While Canada grapples with the problem of jihadi-inspired extremists, the long-standing threat of espionage is also a worrisome preoccupation, the spy agency says in the notes.

    The Canadian Press
  • PHOTOS: We asked Yahoo Canada users if they would swap out New Balance shoes for a less political pair

    A New Balance executive’s congratulatory comments for president-elect Donald Trump sparked a backlash online and have left many sneaker fans wondering what the message meant when it came to the Trump campaign’s divisive comments on important issues on race and gender equality. Since then, a white nationalist publication has declared New Balance "the official shoes of white people." So, Yahoo Canada News asked if people who wear New Balance sneakers should swap them out for a pair of less controversial kicks. Here are some responses from our readers.

    Yahoo Canada News
  • Girl, 2, dies; was focus of fight over brain death test

    A 2-year-old Virginia girl whose parents went to court to block a hospital from performing a brain death test on the child has died, the hospital said Monday. Mirranda Grace Lawson passed away Nov. 1, said Michael Porter, a spokesman for Virginia Commonwealth University Health System. Lawson's doctors had said they were certain she wouldn't recover and wanted to perform an apnea test, which involves taking someone off a ventilator briefly to see if her brain tries to tell the body to breathe on its own.

    The Canadian Press
  • Pence, who touts openness, tries to stop document release

    Lawyers for Indiana Governor and Republican Vice-President-elect Mike Pence argued in court Monday that the state's judicial branch has no authority to require him to comply with Indiana's public records law. The civil case before Indiana's Court of Appeals was brought by Indianapolis attorney William Groth, who sued in 2015 after the Pence administration denied a request for un-redacted records, including a document related to Republican efforts to stop President Barack Obama's immigration executive order. In March, Pence vetoed a bill that would have exempted private universities from releasing some police records, calling it "a disservice to the public and an unnecessary barrier to transparency." And on the campaign trail he aggressively criticized Democrat Hillary Clinton for refusing to release emails sent from a private server she maintained while secretary of state.

    The Canadian Press
  • RCMP officer found guilty of abusing his 11-year-old son in 'disturbing' case

    The evidence presented at trial — illustrating how the adolescent boy was abused, confined, burned, beaten, assaulted and starved — was "unequivocal and overwhelming," Justice Robert Maranger said in his written ruling.

    The Canadian Press
  • Tsunami warning issued after quake off Fukushima in Japan

    Coastal residents in Japan were ordered to flee to higher ground on Tuesday after a strong earthquake with a magnitude of 7.4 struck off the coast of Fukushima prefecture. The Japan Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning for waves of up to 3 metres (10 feet) in Fukushima and another prefecture, and a tsunami advisory for much of the rest of northeast Japan's Pacific coast. Tsunamis of up to 90 centimetres (3 feet) were recorded about an hour after the 6 a.m. earthquake, and the tsunami warning area was widened later in the morning.

    The Canadian Press
  • Police seize guns and $300K in drugs in Hamilton and Burlington

    Police have seized guns and $300,000 in drugs in Hamilton and Burlington and charged five people after a months-long investigation. Halton Regional Police Service officers used search warrants at six homes and businesses — two in Burlington, four in Hamilton — on Nov. 16.

    CBC
  • Massive cover created to place on top of radioactive site at Chernobyl

    Sun, Nov 20: The largest containment system created to slide-in-place over the radioactive site at Chernobyl was painstakingly put in place. Mike Armstrong reports.

    Global News
  • Pedestrian dies 9 days after he was hit by car on Memorial Drive

    A pedestrian who ran across Memorial Drive and was hit by a car on Nov. 10 has died from his injuries. 

    CBC
  • The Canadian North is a balmy 20 C warmer than it should be... and that could be bad

    Scientists are sounding the alarm as temperatures in the Canadian Arctic and around the region hover 20-25 degrees Celsius above normal as the polar night begins. It’s the second winter in a row that wild weather has disrupted or delayed the season when sea ice grows in the region. September saw the second-lowest levels of Arctic sea ice on record for that month and October saw the lowest ever.

    Yahoo Canada News
  • Trump auditions Cabinet prospects high above Manhattan

    Donald Trump held court from his perch high above Manhattan on Monday, receiving a line of former rivals, longtime allies and TV executives while overseeing a presidential transition that at times resembles a reality show like the one he once hosted. Trump met with nearly a dozen prospective hires, all of whom were paraded in front of the cameras set up in the Trump Tower lobby as they entered an elevator to see the president-elect. Unlike his predecessors, who often spoke with Cabinet candidates under a cloud of secrecy, Trump has turned the search into a very public audition process.

    The Canadian Press
  • San Antonio police officer fatally shot while writing ticket

    A San Antonio police officer writing out a traffic ticket to a motorist was shot to death in his squad car Sunday outside police headquarters by another driver who pulled up from behind, authorities said. San Antonio police Chief William McManus identified the officer as Detective Benjamin Marconi, 50, a 20-year veteran of the force. "We consider this suspect to be extremely dangerous and a clear threat to law enforcement officers and the public," said McManus, who added that after the shooting officers had been instructed to not make traffic stops alone.

    The Canadian Press
  • Laine's blazing start mirrors Ovechkin; Bolts without Stamkos; Jagr looking his age?

    How do Patrik Laine's dazzling first 21 games stack up against Alex Ovechkin, the superstar goal-scorer he's long been compared to? Ovechkin would eventually beat out Sidney Crosby for the Calder Trophy in 2006, finishing with 52 goals and 106 points. The Russian star is now the grizzled 31-year-old captain of the Capitals and easily the greatest scorer of his generation and one of the best all-time. Laine has a long way to go to reach those heights, but he's on the right track in the earliest stages of his highly touted NHL career.

    The Canadian Press
  • Edmonton man, partner charged in $3M bank fraud

    A 61-year-old Edmonton man is accused of defrauding a city HSBC branch of $3 million over a period of five years. Economic Crimes Unit investigators say the man, a former employee of HSBC Bank Canada, used a range of methods to divert the money into accounts controlled by him and his 59-year-old life partner over a five-year period starting in 2004. "This was an individual that is alleged to have used his position and authority at a financial institution to defraud his employer of a significant amount of money," Staff Sgt. Sid Kingma said in a news release.

    CBC
  • 3 semis jackknife on highways amid freezing rain

    Treacherous highway conditions are being reported on some Saskatchewan highways and freezing rain is being linked to three semis that jackknifed Monday morning. Freezing rain was reported as a contributing factor in the collisions. Environment Canada had warned earlier in the day that with freezing rain over a wide area, highways, roads, sidewalks and parking lots may become icy and slippery.

    CBC
  • TTC riders say 10-cent fare hike means paying more for less

    Toronto Transit Commission riders told the TTC board on Monday that a 10-cent fare increase would mean paying more for less service. Shelley Carroll, who voted against the increase, said there's only so much that commuters will pay to take public transit. Board Chair Josh Colle admits the increase "sucks" but said it lays the groundwork for asking the city to invest more money in the transit agency.

    CBC
  • People with Down syndrome answer uncomfortable questions

    The Canadian Down Syndrome Society searched the most asked questions online about Down syndrome and has launched a new campaign to answer them. Casagrande's three-year-old daughter Emma has Down syndrome. Just ask 23-year-old Travis Morris of London, Ont., who works at the Lone Star Texas Grill as an assistant host.

    CBC
  • Klinsmann fired as US soccer coach; Arena could return

    In a sign of just how much American soccer has grown up, U.S. national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann was fired after a pair of losses in the final round World Cup qualifying. Six days after a 4-0 loss at Costa Rica dropped the Americans to 0-2, Klinsmann was terminated after nearly 5 1/2 years during a meeting Monday at a Los Angeles hotel with U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati and Secretary General Dan Flynn. Los Angeles Galaxy coach Bruce Arena is the favourite to succeed Klinsmann, and his hiring could be announced as early as Tuesday.

    The Canadian Press

Paris

  • Today

    Showers13°
  • Wed

     Scattered Thunderstorms13°
  • Thu

    Cloudy12°
  • Fri

    Cloudy

What to Read Next