Advertisement

11-Month-Old Boy Dies After Being Found with Burns from Furnace That Was Leaking Steam: Police

The 11-month-old boy was found “unconscious and unresponsive inside a bedroom" at a Brooklyn building

  • Police tell PEOPLE a child, 11 months, died after he was burned by a leaking heater inside a home in Brooklyn

  • The child was found "unresponsive and unconscious inside a bedroom" just after 6 a.m. local time on Friday

  • Building officials have reportedly been investigating the building after issuing a violation in mid-2023

A baby died after he was burned by a leaking heater inside a Brooklyn building according to police.

Police responded to the home on East 14th Street just after 6 a.m. local time on Friday and found the 11-month-old boy “unconscious and unresponsive inside a bedroom,” the New York City Police Department said in a news release obtained by PEOPLE.

The child had “burns from a heating furnace, which was leaking steam” when crews arrived, per the department.

His mother was feeding one of her other children in another room when the incident occurred, ABC affiliate WABC-TV reported. The children’s parents are being interviewed by authorities, according to the outlet.

Related: Twins Found Dead in N.Y.C. Apartment Were Foaming at the Mouth After Apparent 'Medical Tragedy'

The boy was transported to Maimonides Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, according to police.

An investigation is ongoing. When contacted by PEOPLE on Friday, Police said that no one has been arrested at this time.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Residents of the same building told CBS affiliate WCBS-TV and 1010 WINS that the heat can run very high in the building. Some said they turn their radiators off.

City officials have been investigating the building after a boiler violation was issued in June 2023, according to WCBS-TV. The building’s landlord and supervisor have claimed the heating system was working properly before Friday’s deadly incident, per the outlet.

Related: South Carolina Couple Found Dead in 'Extremely Hot' Home Where Heater Measured Over 1,000 Degrees

Home radiator surfaces can reach 60 to 80 degrees Celsius (about 140 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit), according to a report published by the National Institute of Health’s National Library of Medicine.

Contact with a surface that is more than 70 degrees Celsius (about 160 degrees Fahrenheit) for less than one second can cause second degree burns, they added. Radiators can also cause “radiant heat burns” and scald victims.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.