Two bodies of older women were found inside a house off Little Richard Penniman Boulevard near Mercer University on Friday morning, believed the victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to Bibb County coroner Leon Jones.
Bertha Jackson, 76, and Lenora Maynard, 65, were found dead at about 11 a.m. Friday at 884 Prince Street, Jones said.
The women were found in the living room by a family member, who tried to get into the house through the window but eventually called the Fire Department, according to Jones. Fire investigators told Jones the women showed symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The deaths are still under investigation, according to Jones. An autopsy will be conducted.
The house sits just west of Mercer’s football stadium and soccer field. Jones said the the two women were declared dead at about 11:15 a.m. by deputy coroner Luanne Stone.